As someone who’s constantly on the go, I’m usually on the hunt for recipes that be prepared quickly, that aren’t expensive, and that can still deliver a nutritional punch. Some of my favorites that I’ve found along the way include various Mexican dishes and this one from Health.com is no exception.
As printed, you can create a fast, simple meal for four that hardly costs more than $9. While the price might fluctuate a bit, there’s a ton of room for interpretation in this recipe. With a bit of creativity and a quick survey of what’s already in your pantry and refrigerator, you can whip up these tasty tacos in no time.
Some of my favorite ways to tweak this recipe include:
• Using a mix of different beans (black, pinto and even hominy work well)
• Adding different kinds of greens
• Throwing in spices such as cilantro and parsley
• Experimenting with different types of cheese
• Forgoing the shells and making a taco salad instead tortilla chips found on sale
• Opting for soft taco shells
• Creating a burrito instead
• Opt for breakfast tacos, using eggs, veggies and cheese as a base
• Moving beyond Mexican and trying different types of cuisine such as Korean BBQ tacos and
Chinese pork tacos
• Using fish or shellfish instead of meat
• Trying different sauces such as mole and poblano
By using what I already had on hand and thinking outside the recipe, I was able to make dinner for myself and my friends for less than $1 each. Delicious tacos that are good for you sure beats anything found on the Dollar Menu!